Note some pages are slightly damaged from photocopy transfer or tear of pages [394 through 398]. More photos can be seen at the Bieler Press Library page: https://bielerbooks.blogspot.com
Each: two clamps in an original holder. $50.
Extras include manual Challenge 265-305 Style H Cutter Manual and Parts List; two extra blades, one sharp, one dull; extra new white plastic cutting sticks; Walden Worcester wrench for blade bolts (very useful); hand paper sheet adjusters from Crown Williamette Paper Co. and Kemper Tools RB2.
Shipping notes: Weight is 1,020 lbs. Height of the table from the floor, 34 inches. Width of the cutter, 44 inches. Length of the cutter, 58, inches. Height of cutter, 53 inches. Will pass-through door with lever and balance weight removed, 37 inches. Will pass-through door with the table removed, 28-1/2 inches.
$3,500 (pick up only).
• M.V. Huffman Lightweight Expandable Speed Furniture in Cabinet. Cabinet holds 21 pieces of magnesium expandable furniture: 15 x 30 (2), 20 x 20 (2), 20x 30 (2), 25 x 20 (2), 25 x 30 (2), 30 x 20 (2), 30 x 30 (2), 35 x 20 (1), 35 x 30 (1), 40 x 20 (1), 40 x 30 (1), 45 x 30 (1), 50 x 30 (1), 50 x 30 (1). Indispensable. Made by M.V. Huffman Mfg. Co., LA, Calif. Cabinet measures 13-3/4" by 14-1/8" by 4-5/8" (5-3/8" with furniture). 40+ pounds with furniture. The cabinet is very well made (but has a couple of slight impressions on top) and painted (no manufacturer’s name). $1,650.
• Challenge Hi-Speed Quoins in Cabinet. Cabinet holds eight each of 3", 4.5", 6", 7.5", 9", 10.5", and 12" long high speed quoins. American Printing Equipment & Supply Co. cabinet is well made and in excellent condition. Very rare. Challenge Mchry. Co. quoins are complete. Used (with ink stains) but all in working condition. Challenge sold the product line to Bar-Plate in 1996. The 4.5", 7.5", and 10.5" are no longer made. Cabinet measures 15-11/32" by 11-9/16" by 4-7/32" and with quoins is very heavy (over 50 pounds!). $1,825.
• Boraxo Pro-Pumice bar soap. Unopened bars of a hard-working soap that effectively removes grime from hands. Manufactured by Dial but recently discontinued. A professional grade hand-cleaning bar with moisturizers including aloe vera and crushed apricot seeds. Combines cleaning power of soap and borax with scrubbing action of pumice. Biodegradable, recyclable packaging. 32 4.25-oz bars in box. Total with shipping, $78.
• Lewis Roberts Fine Printing Inks wall display. Vintage promo wall display for ink cans [from Lewis Roberts Inc., Mpls.]. 11-1/4 pounds. 27-1/4" high, 19-1/2" wide, 4-1/2" deep. Five shelves measure 18-3/4" by 3-3/8" each. Structurally very good, thin steel. Quite retro (!) with many old ink stains, etc. $250.
• Vandercook press pins. Alloy steel pins used throughout Vandercook SP presses and others. Must have on hand in case of breakage on press. Nominal pin diameter is 5/16" (0.0002" tolerance/oversized), 1-1/2" long, 11,500 lb single shear, Grade 8. Pin has one beveled and one rounded end. $4.75 per (no limit).
• Storage Brass Galley Tray. Chicago Brass Company (Patented, Kenosha, Wisconsin). 24" long by 6-3/4" wide by 5/8" deep. Borders (all around) are 1/4" wide with similar grove. Weighs 4 pounds, 1-1/2 ounces. Colored through use and outside bottom scratched but no noticeable internal scratching. More pics available. $95.00.
• Steel Press Points. Steel press points are often used on cylinder presses such as a Vandercook to prevent slurring of the type at the bottom of the sheet. They are locked in the lower part of the form outside of the printing area. These catch the sheet as it flips away from the cylinder and prevents it from dragging across the type. They are less than type-high thus do not print. They measure 10 picas in length, one pica thick, with points separated from each other by 5.5 pica. Made with Linotype lead metal. $40 each.
• Hi-speed quick change aluminum furniture, MV Huffman Mfg. Co., LA. In addition to the cabinet with 21 sets of furniture (above), sold separately are singles from 10-pica to 60-pica. Inquire.
• New brass .918 bearer supports 24-pt by 26 inches from Stephenson Blake, Sheffield, England. Price is $140 each. Sold in sets of two only.
• Double S font of English Resalite furniture in double font wood cabinet. $1,800 pick up only.
• Aluminum furniture made in Holland. Small clean family of 40-pica length in widths of 6-pica (2), 4-pica (4), 3-pica (3), 2-pica (5).
• Urethane Sponge Roller. Quickly removes excess moisture from the surface of photopolymer plates after washout during processing. 18" long small pore sponge roller (1-3/8" diameter) with 22" hollow aluminum shaft. These last quite some long time if stored in a container of water. New, in wraps. $149.95 plus shipping.
• Cylinder press bed plate. 33 by 20 inches (originally designed for a Vandercook 320). High grade 303 stainless steel (resistant to corrosion, non-magnetic) deadly precise at .05" thickness, and parallel from end to end, length and width. Produced at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (but never went to outer space!). Make a really good offer.
• Raw Photopolymer Plate Strips are available in various lengths at 2 to 4 inches in width at $25 per pound (minimum). See our blog on platemaking for more information. Only Toyobo plates are sold. In stock are strips of KF95 and KM152.
• Paper Humidors. Humidor boxes are used for storing and handling dampened paper during editioning. Dampened paper can be held for up to 3 days. Includes sponges. About 20 pounds each. These were constructed on the model described in Lewis Allen’s Printing With the Handpress. These are all from the Glen Price version produced in the early 1990s. These hold sheets up to 16 x 25 inches. Inside height including upper sponges is 7 inches; including handling is 3 to 4 inches during production. Best used in sets of two. Darker wood (used) $250 each, lighter wood (new) $325 each, (pick up only.
• Press Operator Side Paper Guides.
purchased new from A&V on 6/29/95. Several years ago (2006) I
rebuilt the machine including replacement with six Fulham Co. Inc,
5Workhorse5 120 volt solid state electric components (which Anderson
& Vreeland said they wished were around when the Orbital VIII was
originally built). Photos show changing marks.
Includes all items required for making plates. Several boxes of unused A-2 plates (original charge of box of 20 KM-95 was $725), both polyester film and steel plate backed [Printight KM95GR (15 sheets). KF95GC (20 sheets), KM152GR (7 sheets)]. Nearly 3 inches thick of paper sheets with information on the process and equipment. Urethane sponge roller and container for removing moisture from exposed plates upon completion. Several rolls of adhesive and a magnetic sheet for polyester film backed plates. Large steel container 30 by 30 by 24 inches of unused but cut to sizes plate material.
Size A-2 System (16-1/2 by 23-3/8). Electrical 110/1/60. Original shipping weight 662 lbs. With piping attached: height from floor, on wheels 44.25 inches; length, 42 inches; width 28 inches.
$16,000 (pick up only).
• Cutting sticks for paper cutter
New white plastic cutting sticks for a paper cutter with 26-1/2 inch bed (such as Challenge 265). Half an inch wide. The manufacturer says these were made with the most durable and non-adhesive material designed for papercutting (they do last quite some time). Order a minimum of two sticks ($25 each).
• MANY MORE ITEMS TO COME ! ! !
Currently stocked items include .002" and .003" Riegal, .004"/.005" LithPakII, and .006" Drum Head undersheets, as well as .007" PolyPak (tympan top sheet for 15") and .021" (15"), .017", .011" Kimlon (tympan bottom sheet). These are available in economical small lots. Materials provided are not scored or die cut for specific presses and sheet sizes are maximized for largest 15- and 20-inch presses, thus you will need to cut to fit using templates.
A PDF of sizes and prices is available upon request.
T-shirts offered are super heavyweight 100% pre-shrunk cotton manufactured by Gildan. Loose, comfortable fit—great letterpress printing shirts (your mileage may vary). Limited serigraph printings.
Last item is:
U Had Me at Heidelberg in ‟Original” typeface. Garment color is natural (off white). Black imaging, centered, upper chest. Logo measures 9-3/4 inches wide in the largest size. Available in S (4) M (1) 3XL (4) while they last (L XL 2XL are sold out).
Available direct from The Bieler Press. $19.95 each.
Offered are extraordinary healthy collections of as new European foundry type:
Dominante, designed by Johannes Schweitzer in 1959 and cast by Ludwig & Mayer. Roman: 12-, 14-, 16-, 20-, 24-, 28-, 36-, 48-pt. Italic: 14-, 16-, 20-, 24-, 28-, 36-pt. Bold: 14-, 16-, 20-, 24-, 28-, 36-, 42-pt. There are 28 cases (including one case with type in wrappers, and extra sort case as shown). 1,080+ pounds.
Claudius Fraktur, designed by Rudolf Koch and cast by the Kingspor foundry. 10D-, 12D-, 16D-, 18D-, 20D-, 24D-, 30D-, 40D-pt. There are 10 cases. 350+ pounds.
Also available are several rare and hard-to-find metal typefaces from various domestic and foreign foundries. The fonts are in very good to as new condition.
Bulletin Typewriter (BB&S) 18-, 24-, 36-pt in 4 cases (155+ pounds)
Domino (Ludwig & Mayer) 20-, 30-, 54-pt in 2 cases (65+ pounds, as new)
Folio Medium Extended (Bauer) 24-, 30-, 36-, 42-, 54-, 66-pt in 6 cases (260+ pounds)
Information Grotesque (Klingspor) 24-, 42-, 66-pt in 3 cases (100+ pounds)
Lydian (ATF) 84-, 96-pt in 4 cases (110 pounds)
Nubian (ATF) 6-, 18-, 24-, 60-, 72-pt in 5 cases (180 pounds)